Using traditional methods of network planning, resolving these constraints would require substantial investment and the installation of new capacity.
However, innovative technical and commercial solutions are being developed by industry. These can provide incremental system capacity rapidly
and at lower cost, and also reduce the risk of stranding assets. More broadly, the power sector is transitioning to a "whole system" approach, requiring more innovative regulation and governance.
TNEI provides consultancy advice to electricity utilities and regulators, developers, and government on the challenges and opportunities presented by evolving electrical networks, and offers the following services:
- Design and operation of the power system at all voltage levels
- Power system software solutions for smart network innovations both through our proprietary software, IPSA2, as well as through the development of custom software models and tools
- Specialist technical expertise to help network operators understand the implications and risks of forecast future load changes and the applicability of a range of smart network solutions such as active network management
- Specialist expertise of the UK and Irish electricity markets and the evolving commercial conditions required on future networks
- Integration of network innovations into “business-as-usual” as part of the GB regulatory regime RIIO-ED1.